Monday, December 1, 2008

Coffee Time!

Ok, so Log has been trying to coach me through my virginity of blogging, and this is officially my first time! She told me to blog about anything I was thinking at the moment (which is at times very scary). As most of you know, I am bound by the sin of drinking coffee. It is at this time during the day that I do most of my thinking, so I will also dedicate some of this time to blogging as well! And just to give you an idea of the kind of thinking that goes on: Everyday, I drink my coffee out of a John Deere coffee mug, so don't worry about things getting too deep! But my thoughts will probably be thoughts of my spiritual life and the sort, not always, but most of the time. So here goes nothing..........

I am the type of person that cannot tell anybody no. Whether it is to drive them somewhere, or do their homework (which I can proudly say I haven't done since high school), or carry their plates up to the belt in the dinning hall. It is a problem of mine, but I am working on it. I just want to see my friends and my family happy. It doesn't really matter if I'm happy or not, just as long as they are. That means, I will do pretty much anything it takes to make them happy. I love them all and I care about them, and I don't want them to be upset or disappointed in me. Therefore, I bend over backwards at times to get their wants met.

So I wonder why in the world is it so easy for me to bend over backwards for my family and friends, and yet I'm reluctunt when it comes to making one step of faith for the Savior of my soul. I will get up and drive back to school at 6:00 in the morning just so I can stay home and be with my mom, dad, and boyfriend the night before. But when I have the chance to drive to North Carolina for a weekend to a church, I try to find every excuse in the book not to go.

I heard someone say one time that people will pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to get front row seats at a concert. But when it comes time for church, they want to sit in the very back. Guilty!

If my sister were to ask me to do her a favor, I might resist just because it's my sister, but sooner or later, I'll end up doing whatever she asks me to do. But when I feel the Lord lay something on my heart to do, I question and question and question. No matter how simple it is, I ask the Lord, "why in the world would You ask me to do something like that?"

Why is it like that for me? Is it because I can see the people who ask me to do things for them, and its just easier? If it is spoken to me then I know its legitiment and I can do those things with the confidence that I will get something later on down the road in return?

(Pause for a refill)

I'm not saying that I never want to do anything else for anybody else because that would just be lazy and mean. But I would like to keep this in mind the next time I feel like the Lord is directing me somewhere and I don't go. I love my friends and family, and I wouldn't be any happier doing the things that I do for them. But when the Lord deals with me about something, I pray that I can be more willing.

"All the coffee grounds" (or final thought.....I know, cute right)

"If God told you to strap a bulldoser on your back and go out and serve Him, your question to Him should be, 'what kind of strap should I use'". (Log i thought you would enjoy that quote haha)


Feel free to leave a comment, or cuss my crazy thoughts, or whatever!

No comments: